[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Wed Jan 6 22:04:24 UTC 2010
Keith Keller <kkeller at speakeasy.net>

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 04:42:39PM -0500, Max Hetrick wrote:

> If you're looking for something like an all-in-one kind of thing. I
> built a server here with a 3Ware drive cage in it. We use it for our
> backup server.
>
> However, I've not kept up to date with what 3Ware offers now, so I'm not
> sure about space upwards to 15TB. Check them out though.

You could get a 16-port 3ware controller and hang a bunch of 2TB drives
off of it.  Even with fairly decent redundancy you should be able to get
at least 16TB of usable storage out of it.  It might not have the greatest
performance though (which gets back to this box's intended purpose).

A colleague recently bought an 8-port box similar to the above for just
about $5k US, with just under 12TB usable.

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net