[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Fri Jan 8 01:20:02 UTC 2010

On 01/08/2010 12:53 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Yes, the Sun Fire X4540 uses software raid but not necessarily zfs...if
>> you install another operating system that is not Solaris or OpenSolaris,
>> it won't be zfs.
>>

> the thing to note on the Thumper (X4540), each of those 48 SATA drives
> has its own channel to the system bus.  I believe it uses 6 8-port SATA
> controllers, each attached to the Opteron's Hypertransport via
> PCI-Express x4.    this means you can hit some really high aggregate IO
> speeds...

have you actually tried it ?

cause when I did - the x45xx's/zfs were between 18 to 20% slower on disk
i/o alone compared with a supermicro box with dual areca 1220/xfs.

the thumpers make for decent backup or vtl type roles, not so much for
online high density storage.

- KB