[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Fri Jan 8 16:09:32 UTC 2010
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Dunno why you say that. Lessee, both google and maybe amazon run Linux;
> meanwhile, AT&T, where I worked for a couple of years, Trustwave, a root
> CA that I worked for earlier this year, and here at the US NIH, we run
> Linux.

Since this is a storage thread.. back in 2004 I was told by an EMC
rep that the Symmetrix ran linux(at least at the time, probably
still does), up to 64 controllers or something. While at least at the
time their lower end Clariion arrays ran windows.

My own 3PAR array which manages hundreds of terrabytes runs Debian,
and their low end boxes(had a 9TB system at my last company) ran
Debian as well.

A lot of network equipment(SAN+LAN+WAN) these days runs Linux as
well.

In most cases though linux is used as a control interface, most of
these products don't route data through the OS(less efficient).

Lastly if your thinking about ZFS check this post out I found it
pretty interesting:

http://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg18898.html

nate