[CentOS] [OT] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Fri Jan 8 17:13:02 UTC 2010
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Thomas Harold <thomas-lists at nybeta.com>
> Yah, RAID-5 is a bad idea anymore with the large drive sizes.  RAID-6 or
> RAID-10 is a far better choice.
>
> I prefer RAID-10 because the rebuild time is based on the size of a
> drive pair, not the entire array.

Anyone tested RAID 50 and/or 60 arrays?

"RAID-50 – Striping of Distributed Parity Arrays:
RAID
50 is a combination of RAID 5 and RAID 0. A RAID 5 set must have at
least three disks. RAID 50 strips data across each RAID 5 subset. RAID
50 provides a higher degree of fault tolerance since 1 drive per RAID 5
set may fail without data being lost. A performance increase over RAID
5 may be realized depending on the configuration due to fewer disks
reads per parity calculation."
"RAID-60 – Striping of Dual Parity Arrays:
RAID
60 is striping over more than one span of physical disks that are
configured as a RAID 6. RAID 60 strips data across each RAID 6 subset.
RAID 60 provides a higher degree of fault tolerance since 2 drives per
RAID 6 set may fail without data being lost. A performance increase
over RAID 6 may be realized depending on the configuration due to fewer
disks reads per parity calculation."

Supposed to be safer in big arrays where the big number of disks means higher possibility of failure...

JD