[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Fri Jan 8 22:36:52 UTC 2010
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 1/8/2010 11:41 AM, nate wrote:
>> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>>
>>> Out of curiosity, any idea what a full cabinet of one of these runs?
>>
>> Over $1M pretty easily, probably close/more than $2M.
>
> I think you are confusing it with something else.  Somewhere I saw that
> these list around $400k for 80TB - but the way IBM pricing usually works
> is that you get volume discounts or you give them someone else's quote
> to get the price down.

Depends on the config

# Up to 21 CPUs
# Up to 72 Gbps internal switching capacity
# Up to 120 GB cache memory
# Up to 240 Gbps cache to disk bandwidth
# Up to 180 VHDSR (Very High Density Slower Rotational), 1 TB, 7200 rpm disks
# Up to 24 Fiber Channel ports offering 4 Gbps, 2Gbps or 1 Gbps multi-mode
and single-mode support
# Up to 6 iSCSI ports offering iSCSI over Gigabit Ethernet connectivity

The poster asked for a fully loaded config so I suspect
the $1-2M price is reasonable with 21 CPUs and 120GB of cache.

For a system with so many fancy features I find it surprising it
only seems to go to 180 disks, would be quite a bit more useful if it
went to say 1000 disks(incrementally of course), maybe that's down
the road.

nate