[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Sat Jan 9 00:08:40 UTC 2010
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

JohnS wrote:

> Currently using the older model of this one [1] @ 4GB/s on the fiber.

You sound pretty confused, there's no way in hell a Fujitsu DX440
is going to sustain 4 gigabytes/second, maybe 4 Gigabits/second
(~500MB/s)

> Thats with BiDirectional, both links at 4 GB/s.  Were looking for
> something to scale to 24 if not 30.  It is in constant time wait also of
> about .30.  It has what I call an ROI (return on investment) of 5 mins
> and longer, witch needs to be cut down greatly, 30 secs to a min.  The
> application supports 128 CPUs of which it's a PACS Appication that runs
> in almost real time.

Your ROI of 5 minutes doesn't make any sense to me.

> The bad thing just throwing money at storage is not going to work, we
> have to have a 30 - 90 day POC, period in house.

The only way you'll get that is if you can clearly define your
requirements and commit to buying a system if it meets those
requirements. If you find out at the last minute that the requirements
you came up with were wrong your SOL, so be careful.

There are plenty of arrays on the market that can go 6-8x faster
than the DX440, none of them will come close to even 10GBytes/second
though.

While an IOPS benchmark not a throughput benchmark it still has some
value, you can look at the performance of a decked out DX440 here:
http://www.storageperformance.org/results/a00010_Fujitsu_SPC1_executive_summary_a.pdf

And compare it to other systems on the site. My own 3PAR T400 is
rated to be about 6.5 times faster than the DX440 at least on the
SPC-1 test, when fully loaded with 640 15k RPM drives(I use SATA
drives exclusively).

nate