[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Tue Jan 12 00:07:17 UTC 2010
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

Bent Terp wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>> some storage servers to run under Linux - most likely CentOS. The storage
>> volume would be in the range specified: 8-15 TB. Any recommendations as far
>> as hardware?
>
> I'm kind of partial to Areca raid controllers, you can get up to 24
> ports, so that can be as much as 20 TB (that's real world terabytes,
> not hardware manufacturer's) in a raid 6 with hot-spare using 1000 GB
> drives.

I see that the Areca driver has finally made it into the mainline Linux
kernel. But I wonder how things have improved from this particular case.

http://notemagnet.blogspot.com/2008/08/linux-disk-failures-areca-is-not-so.html

Any comments? With 3ware lately not looking so good from comments I have
heard on the list over the past few years performance wise, I wonder how
Adaptec and Areca look now?