[CentOS] I can't start the SVN server at the boot on CentOS

Tue Jan 12 15:00:56 UTC 2010
Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>

> I have just installed an SVN server on a CentOS 5.4 machine.

Did you install mod_dav_svn (Apach httpd module)
or the standalone svnserve?

> how I can start the SVN server automatically at the boot of the machine.

If it is mod_dav_svn, just make sure that Apache httpd is started automatically:

sudo /sbin/chkconfig httpd on
(or via System > Administration > Services if you have the UI).

I never used seriously the the standalone svnserve, but I guess you
would have to start it explicitly either by:
- adding the command in /etc/rc.local (called by each reboot, but may
be not so clean?)
- write your own script under /etc/init.d

I would definitely suggest to use it as an httpd module (much easier
and flexible).
It requires a little Apache config though:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.serverconfig.httpd.html
(note that this link is for SVN 1.5, but the config is the same for
SVN 1.4, which is the one provided by CentOS base)