[CentOS] directory permissions

Tue Jan 12 22:27:06 UTC 2010
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

Carlos Santana wrote:
> Thanks nate and Paul..
>
> Do I need to use -R recursive option for any of the commands you mentioned?
>
> -
> CS.
>

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Carlos Santana wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have changed directory ownership permissions recursively such that
>>> it is owned by username:groupname , where groupname is not the
>>> default group, i.e., username. However, when a user creates a new
>>> file the default permissions are again username:username.
>>>
>>> How can I give ownership permissions on a particular directory so
>>> that any files created in that directory will always have specifc
>>> username:groupname permissions?
>>>
>> chmod 2775 /your/directory
>>
>> This will assign group ownership of any files created in
>> /your/directory to the group that owns that directory.
>>
>> It won't, however, change user ownership. Allowing that sort of
>> operation would be a great avenue for a denial-of-service attach on
>> any filesystem with quotas.

If you need to sort out sub-directories try - where tld is top level
directory
$ find tld -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 2775
if you need to clean up files (ie not directory)
$ find tld -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 664
I find that openoffice chokes on files with the sticky bit set - it will
not save!