[CentOS] Backup server

Wed Jan 13 12:17:01 UTC 2010
Brett Serkez <bserkez at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:
<snip>
> The way we currently do backups is to use rsync from the clients to two
> folders on an older server that rolls over every other week. This worked fine
> for a while, but the rsync is cumulative and the users generate a tremendous
> amount of data...
<snip>

You might want to check out the rsync switches --backup-dir and
--suffix.   Using them some thing like this:

--delete --backup --backup-dir=$MIRROR_DIR/RsyncBckups --suffix=".$DATE"

allows you to keep an exact duplication of the original directory and
keeping the original files that were either deleted or overwritten in
a seperate backup directory with dated suffixes, which can be archived
on some regular basis.  This should allow you to keep the simplicity
of rsync and control the cumulative size.

Brett