[CentOS] 10 GBASE-T

Thu Jan 14 14:49:07 UTC 2010
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Have you paid attention to this? How big is the difference nowadays?
> Or I wonder if it was just on some specific product..

Depends on the product, my blog mentions a new product that draws
less power on 10GbaseT vs fiber.

As for latency I'm sure it's a bit more, but for most applications
are you really going to be able to tell a difference? I can understand
if your doing stuff like RDMA, but for normal networking, NFS, iSCSI,
virtualization etc, I really can't imagine anyone being able to
tell a difference, especially for those currently running 1GbE.

The latency on my storage systems is measured in milliseconds not
microseconds..

The biggest knock to 10GbaseT was it was late to the 10GbE party.

nate