[CentOS] 8-15 TB storage: any recommendations?

Thu Jan 14 20:20:42 UTC 2010
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:14:52PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/12/2010 03:51 PM, nate wrote:
> > I've used HP/cciss on a couple hundred systems over the past 7 years,
> > can only recall 2 issues, both around a drive failing the controller
> > didn't force the drive off line, and there was no way to force it
> > off line using the command line tool, so had to go on site and physically
> > yank the drive. With the failing drive still in the array performance
> > tanked.
>
> I've had 2 issues today on a single machine - controller going readonly
> with the assumption that a disk had failed, looking at the cli stats and
> it actually showed all 6 disks in the dl380 G4 to be fine.
>
> I accept these are not new machines, and have a few years under their
> belt - but we've got similar aged kit from other places which doesnt
> have nearly as many issues.
>

> > I've never used SATA on cciss, that could be a cause of issues.
>
> Were all scsi here.
>
> Maybe its just bad luck here :)

I remember a story about two similar HP proliants.. same model number,
ordered the same day, same hardware configuration etc..

The other one had problems with a lot of things, while the other one was
working perfectly well..

Looking at the serial numbers in more detail revealed the non-working
one was assembled in Malaysia, while the working one was assembled in
Ireland.. (iirc). :)

-- Pasi