[CentOS] how to send mail from console

Fri Jan 15 13:47:57 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Hi all,
>
> i'm trying to get a script to send me an email whenever a certain
> condition takes place..
> i'm afraid i dont have experience with mail command nor anything else
> related to sending emails for that matter..
>
> i googled a bit and tried using mutt and mail ...
> though i do not recieve any email in my inbox...
>
> the command im using is the following : mail -s "disk space report"
> R_O_L_A_N_D at hotmail.com
>
> should i setup a default smtp to use? where can i check for the errors
> that are taking place?

If it is a default CentOS install, you should have sendmail installed,
but you probably need to install sendmail-cf and create a site specific
sendmail.cf file (from a site specific sendmail.mc file).

Look in /var/log/maillog for error messages.

The 'mail' command is the correct thing to use, except you need to bind
stdin to something. Eg:

df -h | mail -s "Disk space report" mumble at whatever.com

or

mail -s "Disk space alert!" mumble at whatever.com </dev/null