[CentOS] OT: free DNS service?

Mon Jan 18 17:59:21 UTC 2010
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM, R-Elists <lists07 at abbacomm.net> wrote:

>> I have been using a free DNS service for the past seven (7) years.
>> This morning, at 4 A.M., ,  I changed the "A" record for one
>> of my web sites,  to point to an IP address on a different
>> server, so I could test. After watching the TTL count down
>> from 3600 to zero, with the "dig" command,  it then reset to
>> 3600, but still resolved to the
>> original IP address.  :-)   I set the "A" record back to the original
>> IP address and  filed a Support Ticket with that company,
<snip>
> there are "many" other factors involved in DNS and it's distribution &
> usage...
>
> one thing is that virtually every machine has it's own resolver and
> typically a cache of some sort...
<snip>
> until the cache in the resolver on that system is updated, changed, flushed,
> refreshed, whatever etc... it doesn't need to go get an update...

Yes. When I got the syntax correct, for the "dig" command to check the
authoritative DNS servers, I discovered the "dig" command I first
used, was checking the DNS cache in my IPCop Firewall/Router

I believe I now know how to flush that cache and will do that, before
I change the "A" record  to point to the IP of the new server
again.....

Hoping MyDomain.com will lower the TTL from 3600 to 300 for a few
days, so I can do the testing/migration I need to do a lot faster.