[CentOS] Moving the system from 5.3 to 5.4

Tue Jan 19 20:30:50 UTC 2010
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

John R Pierce wrote:
> Renato Botelho wrote:
>
>> My question is not *how* to update, but how the rpm detects a
>> new version is available and automatically update to rpms from
>> 5.4 version.
>>

> I believe it gets the updates from /5/  on the yum repos, not /5.x/
> so when /5/ has rolled to be a link to /5.4/ instead of /5.3/, voila,
> its getting the components from there.

Exactly.  The "5.3" and "5.4" versions are a just collection of
updates.  When the updates that make up 5.4 are pushed out to the repos,
you get updated to 5.4 on your next "yum update".

--
Bowie