[CentOS] routing multiple network cards on a single subnet

Wed Jan 20 17:48:25 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 1/20/2010 11:31 AM, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 10:27 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
>

>> My problem is that I can only access one IP address at a time.  I
>> started out using dhcp and found that if I went through the dhcp
>> song-and-dance then that address became active and the other one was
>> disabled, and vice versa.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if the simplest solution to this is to punt.
>
> If I put a $40 router between eth2 and the big scary world, then eth2
> could become 192.168.whatever.whatever, and then this routing issue
> would go away on its own and it could still talk to the outside world
> (and vice versa) on its IP address from Access.
>
> I assume, based on the fact that I have never encountered this before on
> machines with multiple ethernet cards that were on different subnets.
>
> Or would this still not work as it should?

Why did you want this arrangement in the first place?  IP routes are
normally asymmetrical by design (it's a feature).  I thought you said
you already had a private address on eth0.  Why do you need to
distinguish between eth1/eth2 on the same subnet on the public side?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com