[CentOS] Cleaning up the boot partition

Tue Jan 26 17:39:54 UTC 2010
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Robert Heller wrote:
> >>
> >> I get this error:
> >>
> >> No Packages marked for removal
> >
> > (Was anything else displayed, like maybe dependency issues?)
> >
> > rm /boot/*2.6.9-42* /boot/*2.6.9-55*
> >
> > will also work (but check in /boot/grub/grub.conf!).  Maybe somehow
>

> not sure that's a good idea...

It might make sense *as a last resort*, partitularly if something odd
happened -- I mentioned several: rpm -e might have failed somehow, a fresh
reinstall without reformatting /boot, a backup/restore, etc.  All of
these could result in the kernels *appearing* to be 'installed', but not
'visible' to rpm/yum.  In which case rpm/yum won't remove them.

> the OP just has tons of installed kernels, he has to uninstall the
> superfluous packages - using rpm, not rm.

YES, of course, unless rpm 'believes' that the kernels are NOT
installed (not in rpm's database for some reason).