[CentOS] CentOS port forwarding?

Tue Jan 26 22:02:52 UTC 2010
Bob McConnell <rmcconne at lightlink.com>

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> I have my CentOS server at @172.16.17.100 and my remote network element at @
> 172.16.17.110 and both ones have Internet access . I need to virtually put
> the remote network element on the same LAN as my CentOS server to be touched
> with . In my application , both the ip addresses are as invalid ones and I
> cannot change them . Can you please let me know if there is a settings on
> the CentOS server that can do the job or just the port forwarding on the
> attached gateway can be used ?

The 172.16 address block is in the private network address space as
defined by the IETF. No Internet router will recognize nor forward those
addresses.

Most likely, your "remote network element" is a firewall, or acts like
one. You need to configure it to forward one or more of its external
ports into your server. There are significant security issues that need
to be evaluated before this is done, so you should get help from your
ISP or a consultant. This is not a safe area for novices to play.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP