[CentOS] Centos/Linux Disk Caching, might be OT in some ways

Wed Jan 27 12:30:29 UTC 2010
Chan Chung Hang Christopher <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

>> Ah, well #1 on his list then is to figure out what he is running!
>
> LOL, I know it sounds quite noobish, coming across like I've no idea
> what DBMS it is running on. The system currently runs on MySQL but
> part of my update requirement was to decouple the DBMS so that we can
> make an eventual switch to postgresql.
>
> Hence the solution cannot be dependent on some specific MySQL functionality.

mysql's isam tables have a reputation for surviving just about anything
and great builtin replication support...

postgresql less so (I suspect due to fake fsync/fsyncdata in the days
before barriers) but maybe things have improved a lot nowadays.

Why are you switching?