[CentOS] NFS vs SMb vs iSCSI for remote backup mounts

Thu Jan 28 21:34:51 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 1/28/2010 3:13 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> We used to do it like that - rsync over SSH, but the amount of support
> calls we got with this solution was just too much.
>
> So, instead we mounted the backup volumes on the servers, and the end
> users (most of them being developers & graphic designers) could have
> direct access to their backups.

This is probably getting repetitive, but backuppc provides a web
interface where server 'owners' can browse their own backups, select
what they want, and click a button to restore or download to their
desktop.  It's not part of the distribution, but I think someone even
has a fuse filesystem layer that gives normal-looking read access to the
compressed/pooled storage.  I don't know if you can wrap samba on top of
that, though - or what kind of performance it has.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com