[CentOS] Browser related question

Sat Jan 30 15:42:11 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Depending on the nature of the content and the number of users, running a squid
>> with caching enabled can be a resource win - and it will give you the log you
>> want as long as the browser(s) are configured to use it.
>>

> IOW, Two programs Firefox and squid proxy running every such box :
> Centos Desktops running in GUI mode.
>
> Will 512MB RAM be sufficient to what you are suggesting?
>
> I have over 300 such desktops distributed across the geographical
> having a unpredictable connectivity and each one of them just use one
> browser based on-line application and some cron scripts for monitoring
> and logging simple details.
>
> Changing the h/w configuration is nearly impossible now..
>
> or is there another lightweight solution?

There is not much point in having squid cache for a single user since browsers
also do their own caching.  The normal configuration is to install one behind
each internet connection to be shared by many users at the same location and the
cache saves the time to fetch files viewed by more than one browser. However,
you can turn off the cache or make it very small and still get the logging and a
point of control.  Squid is fairly efficient but I don't know if that is the
best approach.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com