[CentOS] Windows 2003 AD, Winbind, Kerberos and NFSv4

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Sat Jul 3 01:19:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010, James A. Peltier wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm having a bit of difficulty getting a CentOS 5.5 Kerberized NFSv4
> server working.  This server is configured as a Winbind client to a
> Windows 2003 Active Directory.  I've successfully bound it to AD and I am
> able to authenticate.  I've successfully created a NFSv4 entry in
> /etc/exports to export the /exports directory and I can successfully mount
> a non-Kerberized NFSv4 mount on a client machine.  I now want to take it
> to the next step and add Kerberos and it doesn't seem to be working for
> me.  Below are my configurations and the steps I performed.
>
> Fresh install of CentOS 5.5. Non-Kickstarted.  Wanted to get it working
> manually first.
>

> Used the First Boot Authentication Wizard to configure Winbind Support for
> User Information.
>
> Configured Winbind and Kerberos under the Authentication Tab
>
> Checked Local auth is sufficient and Create home directories under options
>
> The computer successfully joins the domain and appears in the Computer
> container in AD.  Below is the extract from /etc/samba/smb.conf for
> authconfig plus what I changed, everything else is stock.
>
> I disabled the firewall and SELinux is running in permissive mode on both
> the test server and test client.
>
> #======================= Global Settings =====================================
>
> [global]
> #--authconfig--start-line--
>
> # Generated by authconfig on 2010/07/01 18:32:54
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS SECTION (delimited by --start-line--/--end-line--)
> # Any modification may be deleted or altered by authconfig in future
>
>    workgroup = MY.AD.NAME
>    password server = MY.AD.SERVER
>    realm = MY.AD.NAME
>    security = ads
>    idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
>    idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
>    template shell = /bin/bash
>
> #--authconfig--end-line--
>
> #-- my additions/changes-start --
>    template homedir = /home/%U
>    winbind use default domain = true
>    winbind offline logon = true
>    winbind nested groups = true
>    winbind refresh tickets = true
>    use spnego = yes
>    use kerberos keytab = yes
> #-- my additions/changes-end --
>
> It also created an appropriate, I believe, /etc/krb5.conf to which I
> removed only the .example.com stuff resulting in the following file.
>
> [logging]
>  default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
>  kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log
>  admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmind.log
>
> [libdefaults]
>  default_realm = MY.AD.NAME
>  dns_lookup_realm = false  # with and without true tried for these
>  dns_lookup_kdc = false
>  ticket_lifetime = 24h
>  forwardable = yes
>
> [realms]
>  MY.AD.NAME = {
>   kdc = MY.AD.SERVER
>   admin_server = MY.AD.SERVER
> [...]

Hi All,

I was able to solve this one and of course, it turned out to be quite
simple once I knew what to look for.

In order to get it to work I needed to alter the initial join of the host
to AD.  Newer versions of samba support the option

   createupn=

In previous versions of Samba and AD you had to do this process manually
in AD to map the server to a userPrincipleName.  Using the command

   net ads join createupn=nfs/`hostname`@<DOMAIN> -U <AD Admin User Name>

followed by

   net ads keytab add nfs -U <AD Admin User Name>

created all the appropriate info in AD and the /etc/krb5.keytab file in
order to allow the client to mount the share via NFSv4 and krb5p
extensions.

-bash-3.2$ mount |grep nfs4
aconite:/ on /home type nfs4 (rw,sec=krb5p,addr=199.60.1.84)

I hope this is useful to people who are trying to perform a similar
operation. ;)

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
           http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

TEAMWORK
  There's power in numbers.  Learn to work together.