[CentOS] Scripting for Centos security advisory database

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jul 5 20:12:36 UTC 2010

Hi Alexander,

On 02/07/2010 13:49, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> with other words you are working on making the yum-security plugin usable
> on CentOS? That would be great!

Thats where this whole thing started from. The problem is that the
yum-security plugin needs some specific info available in the CentOS
repo's and the place where its generated has licensing issues with us
just using it as is.

So the thinking is that if there is a generic backend info pool of all
this information, changelog, package payload, package headers, metadata
around the packages, their relationships with each other and then
amalgamate that into an ( hopefully ) easy to use backend, we can then
write multiple frontends - each with its own utility.

Ideally I'd like to just work on the backend and release a generic api
around it using rest/json for everyone to scratch their own itch :)

Spent a few hours working on this over the weekend and feeling quite
confident that there should be something usable soon.

- KB