[CentOS] why i can not put my swap files in /dev?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jul 6 12:25:01 UTC 2010

> I tried to create some swap files in /dev directory for my desktop.
> the dd and mkswap were ok. but when I try to swapon it, i get this:
>
> # swapon /dev/myswap
> swapon: /dev/myswap: Invalid argument
>
> but when I mv the file to some other directory like /mnt or /, the
> swapon works.
>
> could sb. tell me why?

/dev is mounted from a *ramdisk* -- swapping to a RAM disk makes really
no sense.

With a modern (eg 2.6 kernel w/udev), /dev is created fresh at boot time
and only contains device node files, generally created on-the-fly by udevd.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration