[CentOS] DNS or firewall problem

Thomas Dukes tdukes at sc.rr.com
Wed Jul 7 03:00:10 UTC 2010

ftp is turned off. Samba, I thought was running but haven't tried to set it
up as I was more interested in just accessing web services, locally.

> > I have most services turned off but can activate them ,
> remotely, from
> > webmin if I need ssh or ftp.
>
> Well, I guess you first need to allow connections to webmin
> (from INSIDE
> - even if you are absolutely certain no one can guess your
> password) unless you are only going to do it from the desktop
> on the box. No rules for ssh so you will need to add them if
> you do enable ssh.

I can ssh in remotely but don't have a need for it locally. I can access
webmin remotely but not from a local machine. I see no need for my server to
use additional resources for the x window environment. I don't use webmin
that much except when I need to turn a service on or off remotely or want to
upload a file to the server without having to turn of ftp.