[CentOS] how to use my rpm to replace default old version rpm in centos?

Janez Kosmrlj postnalista at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 7 08:28:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM, ma qiang <maqiang1984 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>  I have installed a software using "yum install ...", but the
> version of rpm in centos is too old.  I have made a new rpm from
> source, and now I'd like to use this to replace the old version rpm in
> centos cd. So, When I install centos for my computer, I can choose
> to install it automaticly.
>  In my guess, I have to replace the rpm at first. After that, I
> need to edit something such as dependencies.
>  Who can tell me how?
>  Thanks a lot.
>
> Best Wishes!
> Qiang Ma

changing the rpm package won't be so easy. i would suggest that you first
try to use the rpm from rpmforge. maybe this version is new enough for you.
if not try finding some other repo.

If you still need a newer package, try first to install your version on a
fresh install on centos and solve the dependencies. Make notes on what you
changed and then replace all the rpms you changed on the install cd. or you
can make your own yum repo and install the packages from the repo after the
install using yum update.