[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 18:41:16 UTC 2010

 a 'network' is 192.168.x assuming that you are using class C subnet
> masks (255.255.255.0) and so you should have a WINS server on EACH
> network (192.168.4, 192.168.5, 192.168.6, etc.)
>
> Cross network browsing is somewhat of a hit or miss and not reliable...
> for a number of reasons such as the default firewall settings for
> Windows systems will only allow network traffic to the immediate network
> that it is on (i.e. 192.168.6)
>
> The important thing is to get the WINS working on EACH network. It's
> also easiest to have your PDC be the WINS server - period.
>
> Also, a PDC must necessarily have...
>
> domain master = yes
> preferred master = yes
> domain logins = yes
> security = user
>
> Craig

I agree that preferred master should have been set to yes.  I made that
change with but still no joy.

I don't mean to be contrary but our cross subnet browsing has been working
since 2003 when we set up this network.  It has been very reliable and I
depend on it to work.  And I believe it is because of have our WINS servers
the way that they are.

I do think that I have hit upon an issue.  The WINS data for samba is kept
in /var/cache/samba.dat but it is updated dynamically with nmdb.  It has
dated data.  When I moved the server I changed the server name slightly and
so the WINS data points to the old name at the current IP.  In fact with
this network rebuild I changed most of my computer names and they are all
incorrect.  I think I need to shut down all three instances of samba clear
the wins data and then start them all again so that they populate from
scratch.

Doug