[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:38:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 14:12 -0500, Doug Coats wrote:

> As I said in another post I changed the machine name to an entirely
> different format and I didn't copy any domain information from the
> prior machine(meaning I didn't try to migrate the information placed
> in the smbpasswd). Since all the machines were being switched to
> Windows 7 I wanted a clean start.
---
I see now.  I went back and read your whole thread.  Just like Craig has
said to you in the last mail it will not work as you expect.  There has
to be a helper or Wins server on each of the SNs to contact the Master
Browser.  That's is the only I am aware of doing it the right way also.

You could pass them off of a DHCP Helper server but I suspect that's
beyond what you want.  The thing is the network is a Ad-Hoc Network and
there hard to deal with with out proper prior planing.

John