[CentOS] DNS problem while trying to join windows 7 to samba3x pdc

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 19:49:49 UTC 2010

On 7/8/2010 2:36 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
> I just did a checkconfig on the PDC in question 192.168.6.1.  And I
> noticed something that might be nothing but it puzzles me.  The nmb
> service is set to "off" at all run levels.  If I check the nmb status it
> says that it is stopped.  Doesn't Samba need that for net-bios support?
> I am probably showing my ignorace here but what is the connection
> between net-bios names and WINS?

Netbios can use multiple network transports, some of which only have
broadcasts to support name resolution.  Each subnet will elect a master
browser to collect the names and respond to queries.  As an extension
for the IP protocol which is routeable, the WINS service accepts the
lists from multiple master browsers at a pre-configured IP address. For
it to work, the master browser that happens to be elected on any subnet
must be configured to use the same WINS address and must have IP
protocol working - and the clients need the address to query as part of
their configuration, either from DHCP or manually entered if they have a
static IP.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com