[CentOS] OT: ?? Centos Still Broken, Red Hat won't fix ??

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Jul 8 22:35:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 at 3:39pm, Seth Bardash wrote

> I am beginning to wonder if Red Hat is getting too big? Or that it just
> does not care. Other ideas less pleasant come to mind....  Today, the
> old bug was still marked as new (6+ months and counting). I entered a
> new bug report for RH 5.5 for the same issue. Is there no way, unless
> you are a huge customer, to get your bug listed as anything except LOW
> PRIORITY??

It has been stated many times and on many fora that Red Hat's bugzilla is
not a mechanism for support.  They are under no obligation to address
issues raised there.  Is it nice when they do?  Absolutely.  Should you
expect (nay, demand) it?  Nope.  The proper way to get Red Hat to address
an issue is to open a ticket via your support contract with them.

> Now we are looking at the AMD G34 CPU's and are building some demo
> units. I think its time to benchmark these systems with the working -
> non optimized Red Hat / Centos Linux versus the optimized Opensuse /
> SLES Linux for standard server functions and publish them.

While that may be interesting to compare distributions, I think it would
do little to evaluate the benefit of the kernel CPU optimizations.  There
are just too many other variables.  I would be very interested to see
numbers comparing the exact same Red Hat distribution benchmarked with and
without the kernel optimizations (you said 5.3 worked just fine).  Do you
have previous numbers on that showing a marked benefit?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin