[CentOS] vmware

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 01:47:21 UTC 2010

Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Athmane Madjoudj <athmanem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not talking about VMware Server 2.x because VMware has abandoned it,
>> although I use it on CentOS 5.5 with some workarounds.
>>

> Can you expand on that?  Did they abandon VMWare Server altogether, or
> just version 2?

I think it is specific to RHEL/Centos.  Server 2.x was broken by an update to
RHEL 5.x and neither RHEL nor VMware have done anything to fix it.  I don't
think other supported distros were affected.

> I'm still using version 1.08, and it works fine, except that Win XP
> SP3 won't Hibernate or Stand-by due to an incompatibility with one of
> the VMWare drivers.  I was using the VMWare save machine state, but it
> turns out that shutdown and reboot is faster....
>
> Let us know....  :-)

I don't think anyone likes the web-based console in the 2.x series anyway.  I'd
either stick with the 1.x version or load ESXi on the hardware and move your
current OS to a guest.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com