[CentOS] "yum update": When is new header data downloaded? (Trying to set up custom repository...)

Toralf Lund

toralf.lund at pgs.com
Mon Jul 12 11:58:22 UTC 2010

I'm trying to set up a custom rpm respository for some in-house
software, and configure a number of CentOS 5 clients so that they may
install and update the software in question from the location in
question. I think I've mostly figured out how to do this -  I've
successfully installed software on one of the clients via "yum install
<my package>" after adding an URL of the form
ftp://myserver/pub/<mysoftware> to the list of repositories, and uploading

   1. A directory containing the packages.
   2. A "repodata" directory generated by createrepo.

to the appropriate server location.

But then I wanted to see if could publish an upgrade, too, so I did, on
the server-side:

   1. Updated the release number in my rpm spec files and rebuilt.
   2. Put the rpms on the right location.
   3. createrepo -q --update <directory>

And on the client

    yum update <my package>

Problem is, this did nothing besides printing the message:

    No Packages marked for Update

So I thought the repository hadn't been properly updated, but then I
tried (still on the client):

    rm -rf /var/cache/yum/<mysoftware>
    yum update <my package>

And, hey presto, the package was upgraded to the new version.

So, it seems like I managed to correctly update the repodata and all,
but originally, yum concluded that it didn't need to download a new
version, but could use the one cached earlier. instead.

Does anyone have any idea why this happened? How exactly does yum decide
when to download new headers and when to reuse cached data?

Thanks,

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.