[CentOS] "yum update": When is new header data downloaded? (Trying to set up custom repository...)

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Mon Jul 12 12:18:18 UTC 2010

Toralf Lund wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a custom rpm respository for some in-house
> software, and configure a number of CentOS 5 clients so that they may
> install and update the software in question from the location in
> question. I think I've mostly figured out how to do this -  I've
> successfully installed software on one of the clients via "yum install
> <my package>" after adding an URL of the form
> ftp://myserver/pub/<mysoftware> to the list of repositories, and uploading [ ... ]
>

> So, it seems like I managed to correctly update the repodata and all,
> but originally, yum concluded that it didn't need to download a new
> version, but could use the one cached earlier.
That should be "a new version *of the repodata*".

- Toralf
>  instead.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this happened? How exactly does yum decide
> when to download new headers and when to reuse cached data?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.