[CentOS] Smallest install?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jul 12 14:47:08 UTC 2010

Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

>> > I have a 500Mb ATA Flash drive in my machine.  If I deselect
>> > everything at install time (CentOS 5.0 - just for testing) it still
>> > requires 524Mb.  Is there any way of doing an even smaller install?
>>
>> Run a pre 5 series install and it is straightforward to hold size down
>>
>> There are lower thresholds one cannot go below and still stay
>> with current updates.  My article on 'tiny centos' provides
>> 'slimming scripts' to trim away coherent sets to taste while
>> still satisfying dependencies
>>  	http://www.owlriver.com/tips/tiny-centos/
>
> Thank you!  Since I also want to make a tiny flash-based centos, I'll
> look into this!

Timny, flash-based? I recently bought an 8GB USB key for a netbook distro
instal, and we have two here at work for some of our rackmounts that have
no DVD reader.

>> Just because one is familiar with
>> hammers does not mean one should be shaving cats with one
>
> That depends, in part, on how much one dislikes cats.
>
> Shaving pissed-off tomcats is best done with welding gloves and apron,
> and a hammer.

Um, that may not work, he says, thinking of his friend in the US northwet
with a full-sized cougar.*

ObDiscllosure: cat lover; likes dogs ok, otherwise I'd suggest grooming
your dog with a hammer.

           mark