[CentOS] Samba and file permissions

Todd Cary

todd at aristesoftware.com
Mon Jul 12 14:48:43 UTC 2010

A problem that has plagued me for a long time (finally decided to get
some expert help) is setting the owner/group on directories/files I
create with samba.  Here is my situation:

On my Linux/Apache I have a user, smith.  The /home/smith directory is
owned by smith and is part of the group, todd (me) with permissions 775.

This works fine until I create via samba a directory in smith e.g.
/home/smith/test.  The directory is owned by todd and smith cannot
create a file in it.

What have I missed and how do I fix it?

Todd

P.S. My admin expertise is just moderate since my Linux server just runs
and runs without much administration needed.

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com