[CentOS] Re-exporting an NFS mount.. Possible?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:17:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> It really is NOT a good idea to re-export a network-mounted file system.
> Is there some reason you cannot simply migrate the data on the Windows
> 2008 server to a new CentOS system?  Note that you can also install
> Samba on the new CentOS system, which will support any MS-Windows
> clients served by the Windows 2008 server.
>
> One possibity would be to install a virtual CentOS server on the Windows
> 2008 server and have it *replace* the NFS server running on the Windows
> 2008 server.  You would need to map the file systems to be exported as
> local/virtual file systems on the virtual CentOS server.

Thanks Robert...Unfortunately, changes to the server and client
require a large effort. The systems are only accessible remotely, are
in use 24 hours a day for two to three weeks at a time, and making any
change, even adding a script, requires re-certification.

Mark - thanks.. I will look at unfs..

Ross - We considered that option and may consider it if re-exporting a
share is possible with CIFS.