[CentOS] Xen cpu requirements

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Jul 14 20:14:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, July 14, 2010 15:08, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> The flags from /proc/cpuinfo after this reboot where I checked the
>> virtualization setting in the bios are:
>>
>> flags           : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi
>> mmx
>> fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc ida pni est ssse3 cx16
>> sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
>
> You're already running the Xen kernel and your view of /proc/cpuinfo
> is from the dom0, right?
>
> I don't think you can see the vmx (Intel) or svm (AMD) flags from
> dom0, but the underlying hypervisor should be able to see it. Try
>
>    sudo xm dmesg | grep -i hvm
>
> You should see something like "(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled".

BINGO!

Thank you.  I had even wondered slightly about whether my view from within
the system might not be the right one for this.

To be precise, I see:

[localddb at prcapp00 ~]$ sudo /usr/sbin/xm dmesg | grep -i hvm
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
(XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected and enabled.

Thank you very much!
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info