[CentOS] LDAP / NSCD shadow caching problem

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jul 15 11:13:28 UTC 2010

> Your /etc/nscd.conf is only configured to cache passwd/group/hosts.  It's
> not configured to cache shadow.
>
> (I don't know if nscd _can_ be configured to cache shadow or not; never
> tried)

> rgds
> Stephen

The nscd is a "name service caching daemon" and not an authentication
credentials cache.

man 8 nscd

"Nscd  provides  caching  for  accesses  of the passwd(5), group(5), and
hosts(5) databases through standard libc interfaces, such as getpwnam(3),
getpwuid(3), getgrnam(3),  getgrgid(3),  gethostby-name(3), and others."

"Note that the shadow  file  is  specifically  not  cached. getspnam(3)
calls remain uncached as a result."

Regards

Alexander