[CentOS] xm console -- what should I get?

David Dyer-Bennet

dd-b at dd-b.net
Thu Jul 15 19:00:48 UTC 2010

If I type "xm console 6", say (when I have a virtual machine 6 running),
what should I get?

The documentation seems to indicate that I should get something that
behaves like a telnet to a serial console.

What I actually get is a connection that might show me a couple of lines
of output that do look like they belonged on the console, but doesn't seem
to accept any input (except that it does exit on the documented escape
character ^[).

These virtual systems show as running, and in fact with virt-viewer I can
get a VNC console to them.

Dom0 and the guests are Centos 5.5 x64, running on Intel processors with
modern virtualization support (turned on in the bios, and it looks like
Xen found it from xm dmesg output).

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info