[CentOS] Finding DHCP IP of guest system

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Sat Jul 17 00:17:59 UTC 2010

On 07/17/2010 12:39 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> The domU got it's ip from the corporate DHCP server, which is what I
> intended (that's why I'm running bridged, I'm using virtual servers to
> separate functions while conserving physical boxes, so I want them to
> present as separate systems to users on the network).

An alternative, if you have some control over the DHCP server, might be
to enforce a mapping of MAC addresses to IPs.  You can pretty much set
you guest MAC addresses to whatever you want so long as they don't
conflict with anything else. In libvirt land you do that with something like

     <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='00:16:36:1e:dd:f3'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
    </interface>