[CentOS] Desktop Supercomputer

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 08:56:29 UTC 2010

Greetings,

On 7/17/10, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/10 7:12 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:

Perhaps I have a distorted understanding of the cloud and HA technologies.

But i have been looking at the GPU based SCs.

I am looking at creating/building a Centos based infrastructure which
would have which can have secure, private clouds which can host
secure, private supercomputers.

I do realise that Sun had almost realised its "Net is the computer"
dream. I have not followed up on their self healing system.

I have build Monitoring systems, HA clusters, VM Infrastructure etc.
But they were all for entities who paid my salary. period.

Now I want every stakeholder and the less fortunate to benefit.

An affordable computing model for the common man.

Please realise that I am trying to do this in India, where anybody who
wants to do have to face the hurdle of huge red tapes (exactly
opposite to the model of "perl is the duct tape of Internet") that
every government loves to do.

I posted the link as I felt that if a computer can be made "available"
then a supercomputer too. I am technology agnostic as far as the
solution is concerned.

I am in fact investigating the possibility of getting desiged a
monitoring and control device for the CTOS Hardware. I have technical
and business contacts which may help me to pull this off.

We are looKing at sub usd1000 infrastructure which would help young
gamers, students, grandma and grandpa to have their own secure private
computers as and when, where they want it and which should cost more
than a typical utility bill from any device they choose to use.

My aim is to have it all in open source model. Including the revenue
distribution.

Can we look at the model as perpetual revenue rolling rather than sharing?

Just to give an idea of the environment, an experienced server
engineer gets less than usd150 per month after years of training and
he may not know about HA, Virtualization techs, power availability is
an act of god in most part of the country.

Last I heard, an APC fence device costs somewhere around 35K INR (~
usd 700). I mean INR 7000/socket is ridiculous price for a
over-decorated power strip with less about basic cellphone type
electronics with a little bit of power stuff thrown in. I know
software projects and all that looting. but what the heck people
should have access affordable computing.

On the instrumentation side, I was looking at arduino wireless, off
band, so to say.

List, wish ourselves luck as if we fail, we have to answer our next
genration for bad engineering.

I had seen one such project at VLSI Lab at IIT, Chennao during Shastra
2008 using some Open source hardware and eminently affordable

Regards,

Rajagopal