[CentOS] Desktop Supercomputer

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 21:31:32 UTC 2010

Greetings,

Thanks for the interest shown by all the responders.

On 7/18/10, Jerry Franz <jfranz at freerun.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/2010 2:11 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Everything you listed is interactive realtime or near-realtime graphics
> intensive. A cloud is not really suited to that kind of task to begin
> with.

I don't inderstand why it should be so.

How does the online gaming work? and who renders it?

> And you appear to be additionally attempting to find out if you
> could use an *existing* cloud (for example Amazon EC2) to do it -
> meaning not only are you talking about an architecture that isn't really
> suited to the problem, you are talking about putting it behind *SLOW*
> network connections to boot.

Agreed, as EC2 performance as limited by last mile speed. But Then why
should I be limited by something which is hosted not in India?

But again, I am thinkinking about the future. not present.

> Never-mind how *fast* a cloud is (or is not), you can't move the
> rendered bits back and forth to a desktop over a remote network
> connection at any kind of sane speed.

Again, the questions that are raised by the "sane speed" are:

1. What if it is within a campus?
2. Why should Indian universities and its students be denied such a
computing facility despite having fibre speed connectivity within
campus/area?
3. Why we (the Centos community) should hold ourselves hostage to vendor grip?
4. Why it should not be private?

I am clear that it is a technological possibility (rather, more of a
probability).

Regards,

Rajagopal