[CentOS] Finding DHCP IP of guest system

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sun Jul 18 02:04:30 UTC 2010

On 16-Jul-10 19:17, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> On 07/17/2010 12:39 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> The domU got it's ip from the corporate DHCP server, which is what I
>> intended (that's why I'm running bridged, I'm using virtual servers to
>> separate functions while conserving physical boxes, so I want them to
>> present as separate systems to users on the network).
>
> An alternative, if you have some control over the DHCP server, might be
> to enforce a mapping of MAC addresses to IPs.  You can pretty much set
> you guest MAC addresses to whatever you want so long as they don't
> conflict with anything else.

In the long run, they'll be static; but at the moment the permanent IPs
haven't been assigned, and I'm just letting them pick something up via
corporate DHCP (to avoid conflicting with anything else on the network).
  It's at this early experimental stage that it'd be handy to find out
externally what they ended up being.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info