[CentOS] freetype bytecode interpreter

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jul 20 10:24:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Frank Cox wrote:

> It may yet be too early to get a definite answer about this, but I'm
> wondering what the status of the formerly patented bytecode interpreter
> in freetype will be in RHEL/Centos 6 and possibly future updates to
> RHEL/Centos 5.

CentOS just rebuilds sources to conform to certain goals --
the 'upgrades / freshenings' request department is on a list
run by the upstream

 	https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv6-beta-list

That said, I saw speculation picked up in a aggregator run by
Infoworld <?> that the RHEL 6 stabilization was going slower
than expected and that a gold by EOY was a new target date.

While this may induce a reluctance to change matters too
much, a closer to the 'leaf node' package such as freetype may
be 'doable' if you ask, and as I recall, RFE it in their
Bugzilla; requests with working caldidates agains their public
beta may also change how such a request is viewed [based upon
my years of 'kremlinology' as to Raleigh]

-- Russ herrold