[CentOS] boot process glitch due to missing 2nd disk

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jul 21 00:08:43 UTC 2010

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 at 11:34am, Dave wrote
>
> > Thanks for all the discussion, but keyboard is not the issue.
> >
> > I guess I should edit the bios settings and look for a way to tell it "hey,
> > you've only got one disk now, be happy."
>
> All Dell desktops I've dealt with (including the Precision T3400 I use
> now) require you to go into the BIOS and explicitly tell you which busses
> (IDE before, SATA now) have disks attached to them.  If you don't tell it
> about a disk you do have, the disk won't appear to the OS.  And if you do
> tell it about a disk you don't have, then the boot will hang complaining
> about a missing disk.  It's asinine and I've never seen any other BIOS
> like it.  But it's consistent.  I've never dealt with Dell's server
> hardware, so I have on idea if they do the same thing there (dear God I
> hope not).

'Little' Dell PowerEdge servers with plain (non-RAID) SATA disks
appearently work that way too (same BIOS stupidity I guess).  Once they
see a disk, they assume it will *always* be there.  If you pull the
disk for some reason (disk failure for example), it complains about a
missing disk.  *I* didn't bother looking in the BIOS to shut it up,
since I planned on replacing the missing disk in a week or so anyway
(just a matter of waiting on WD and UPS...)

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933