[CentOS] compilers a security risk?

Nifty Cluster Mitch

niftycluster at niftyegg.com
Wed Jul 21 01:31:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:34:14AM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> On 3/6/2010 4:04 PM, nate wrote:
> >
> > if you can upload source code,
> > you can upload a precompiled binary
>
> True, but most attacks are automated, and try to attack as wide a range
> of machines as possible.
>
> If I were to write a bit of malware for *ix that needed a custom binary
> on the target machine, I'd at least consider distributing it as C code,
> banking on the fact that most *ix systems have a C compiler installed by
> default these days.

It is no longer just the C compiler.
Perl, Python, Ruby, php even bash all have
rich libs and can do more quicker
than most can accomplish with a C program
and with more portability too.

It makes sense to have a good firewall that
limits all in and out paths as well as a proxy
server for outgoing connections and
other footprint tools.

Logs and management should involve another
box such that the system admin folk have
a safe and different place to do their job from.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?