[CentOS] Audio fails on centos 5.5 sony laptop - snd-hda-intel

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 23:33:23 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
> Rob Kampen wrote:

> I have started to setup an rpmbuild environment but need to read some more
> instructions, as when I followed the wiki I got different results - not sure
> if this is due to using the centosplus SRPM, as that is what all my
> workstations use, or due to my error in following instructions.
> When I tried the make oldconfig after copying the config file as indicated I
> ended up having to respond to lots of option questions that I have no idea
> about, thus I'm likely to select an option that causes problems.
> I thought make oldconfig was a process to dump out the current config
> settings so they could be used as a template for the new
> build......confused.

Because you are starting with a centosplus kernel and cplus kernels
are already customized, you do not have to go through the
customization part of the wiki instruction.  In your case, all you
have to do it to remove one patch.

I see the patch to be removed is this one:

Patch24883: linux-2.6-sound-alsa-hda-driver-update-for-rhel5-5.patch

Therefore, look for the line:

%patch24883 -p1

and delete it (it is line 9753 in the current kernel). If you had
already modified the .spec file, I suggest you start fresh. The only
other change you would want to make is "buildid" to provide a unique
name for your new kernel.

Good luck!

Akemi