[CentOS] Enabling X on headless server via network

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Jul 26 00:04:59 UTC 2010

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 19:35, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> >> Which shows it's working... but painfully slowly.  Bandwidth and especially
> >> latency is killing you.
> >>

> > Other than getting a new ISP, is there anything that I can do about the latency?
>
> I can smoothly run X over the Internet to the servers I look after only
> because I myself have a 10mbit/10mbit connection and the servers are
> either on 50mbit or 100mbit connections but that is not true for all X
> clients. X can require an incredible amount of bandwidth to be smooth.

About the *only* X11 client that works well over *dial-up* (or other
low-speed and/or high-latency connections) is the old XAW-flavored
xterm (I use it all of the time).  For pretty much all other X11
clients, you really need a local LAN connection (eg 10BaseT or better).
This is partitularly true for any sort of non-trivial GUI (like a
graphical web browser for example).

X11 is not really designed for truely 'remote' usage.  X11's idea of
'remote' is like 'down the hall' or 'across the room' or 'down in the
basement server room of the building your office workstation is in'.

Unless of course you have a 100mbit fiberoptic link to the Internet
backbone. :-)