[CentOS] Php 5.2.x support ends

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Jul 26 10:05:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, gaohu wrote:

> From: gaohu <tigerheight at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Php 5.2.x support ends
>
> thus, can we install php 5.3.x using yum ?
> Is there any repo that we can use to install the latest version of software?
>

> 2010-07-26
>

> gaohu

You can install PHP 5.3.2 from REMI repo, which is dependant
on EPEL repo.

You will need to setup the yum-priorities plugin, and only
enable REMI repo to install newer packages.

I had to set my priorities for REMI the same as Centos base
repo.

To enable the REMI repo use:

yum --enablerepo=remi install php php-cli php-devel

# Name       : php
# Arch       : i386
# Version    : 5.3.2
# Release    : 2.el5.remi
# Size       : 3.3 M
# Repo       : installed
# Summary    : The PHP HTML-embedded scripting language.
(PHP: Hypertext
#            : Preprocessor)
# URL        : http://www.php.net/
# License    : PHP
PHP attempts to
#            : make it easy for developers to write
dynamically generated
#            : webpages. PHP also offers built-in database
integration for
#            : several commercial and non-commercial
database management
#            : systems, so writing a database-enabled
webpage with PHP is
#            : fairly simple. The most common use of PHP
coding is probably
#            : as a replacement for CGI scripts.
#            :
#            : The php package contains the module which
adds support for the
#            : PHP language to Apache HTTP Server.

Installing REMI PHP will also update mysql server to 5.1.8

Installed Packages
Name       : mysql
Arch       : i386
Version    : 5.1.48
Release    : 1.el5.remi.1
Size       : 2.3 M
Repo       : installed
Summary    : MySQL client programs and shared libraries.
URL        : http://www.mysql.com
License    : GPLv2 with exceptions
database server. MySQL is a
            : client/server implementation consisting of a
server daemon (mysqld)
            : and many different client programs and
libraries. The base package
            : contains the MySQL client programs, the client
shared libraries, and
            : generic MySQL files.

Here's the yum repo files for EPEL and REMI:

EPEL:

[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/5/$basearch
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
priority=99

[epel-testing]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - Testing -
$basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/testing/5/$basearch
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=testing-epel5&arch=$bas
failovermethod=priority
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL
priority=99

REMI:

[remi]
name=Les RPM de remi pour Enterprise Linux 5 - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/5/remi/$basearch/

http://iut-info.univ-reims.fr/remirpms/enterprise/5/remi/$basearch/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-remi
# failovermethod=priority
priority=1

[remi-test]
name=Les RPM de remi en test pour Enterprise Linux 5 -
$basearch
baseurl=http://rpms.famillecollet.com//enterprise/5/test/$basearch/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-remi
priority=1

HTH

Kind Regards,

Keith