[CentOS] OpenLDAP authentication, account expired when it's not.

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 27 00:59:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 03:44:48PM -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> I am trying to set up LDAP authentication for CentOS workstations, but
> can't get it to authenticate properly.  Authentication fails saying the
> account has expired when I know for certain that it has not (e.g.
> ldapsearch authenticated with the appropriate uid and password returns
> shadowLastChange 14816 and shadowMax 99999).

Well, I'm just going to spam my own page.  Give it a gander, and see if
following it from the get go works.

Note the link to the forum thread in it--it's possible, though not
proven, that CentOS (probably RH) *might* have broken ldap.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/ldap.html

All I can say is that it works for me, but--and it's probably an
important but--I haven't set it up from scratch on CentOS 5.5 yet.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: For a thousand years I wielded the powers of the
Wish. I brought ruin to the heads of unfaithful men. I brought forth
destruction and chaos for the pleasure of the lower beings. I was
feared and worshipped across the mortal globe. And now I'm stuck at
Sunnydale High. Mortal. Child. And I'm flunking Math.